Google, the internet giant, has dominated the world’s headlines for a good two decades. Since its inception, it has expanded from being a search engine to a multitude of arenas. Be it blogging, note-taking, scheduling, designing, learning, surveying, transporting, or calling; google has everything covered. The company has genuinely enabled its users by providing tools and services that empower them. The ease of doing business has grown exponentially, and in this era, with just one internet connection, one can reach out to billions of customers via the Google platform. Google allows businesses to reach out to their customers via virtually every mode possible like Google voice number and Google Mail.
Google Voice: What is it?
Google voice is one of Google’s products. It is a telephone application that provides call forwarding and voicemail services. The service also provides calls and texting. It works both on cell phones and over the web, allowing the user to take and make calls from anywhere in the world. The service is available in three tiers of pricing. 10, 20, and 30 USD need to be paid depending on the features one wants to avail. A great feature built into Google voice is their active AI filter that can weed out any spam calls and the fantastic ability to transcribe voicemail automatically. This has been made possible by the powerful algorithms that train overtime to create a voice to text highly accurate. Google voice seamlessly integrates with Google Hangouts and Google Calendar, so that call scheduling and call history have high visibility. This is beneficial for owners who are busy and need a one-stop solution for all their local and international communication needs.
What is my google voice number?
This is the number allotted to them for receiving and making calls from. To find what this number is, open google voice and log in. Navigate to the top left of the screen and tap the menu section. Beneath the account, a number will be visible. This is the voice number associated with the account of the users in case the number is not visible. This means that the account signed with has no associated voice number. To add Google Voice to the account, click on the “Get a Google Voice number.” Upon entering the target area code, Google voice allows us to choose from a variety of numbers.
Can I delete my Google Voice number and get a new one?
Many times people want to delete or change their numbers owing to a variety of reasons:
- Shutting down a business
- Switching to a number that is easier to remember
- A number that is being spammed a lot
- Switching to a different service provider
Change your Google Voice Number
Similarly, sometimes, a need to change a Google voice number will arise. While deleting the number and getting a new one might seem to be the most straightforward path to adopt. This might not be all necessary. Changing a Google voice number can be done by paying a one-time fee of 10 US dollars. However, before beginning, a word of caution: If the number is changed, it can not be reverted. Follow below instructions to make the switch:
1. Open a browser and navigate to voice.google.com
2. The mode will need to be changed. For this, navigate to the menu icon. The menu lies at the top left of the screen. Click on Legacy Google Voice. The display will reload, and the layout will seem different. Do not worry. This is intended.
3. Now on the top right of the screen, a gearbox icon will show. These are the settings. Click on them and a list of tabs will appear
4. Click on the phones tab
5. The number being used currently will show. Click change/ port next to this number
6. Select “I want a new number.” Step by step, guidelines will appear. Follow through to configure the new number and proceed for payment.
7. Following the transaction, messages detailing the update and next steps will be sent to the user’s inbox
So what happens with the former number once a request has been submitted for a change?
For ninety days, the new and old Google Voice numbers will continue to co-exist, and all incoming calls/ texts will be forwarded to the Voice account. Once the ninety days have elapsed, anyone who tries contacting on the previous number will have their contact sent to the user via email. The person may choose to contact the person trying to reach them and inform them about the change in numbers.
Delete Google Voice Number
Once a business goes out of business, or a user no longer requires keeping a Google Voice number. They might want to delete it. However, it’s necessary to abide by a few essential details regarding removing the number:
1. The user has only ninety days to retrieve their Voice number once it has been deleted. This can be done by clicking the menu and switching to the legacy mode. Clicking “Get old number back” will allow the user to input a linked number
2. However, if there is no action from the user’s end, the number will be released into the available pool of numbers. After that, the number can be allotted to someone else.
3. The messages in the user’s inbox will continue to stay even after they have deleted their voice number
Deleting the number can be done in the following simple steps:
1. Visit voice.google.com
2. Navigate to the top left of the website to click menu and then tap settings
3. Google voicemail will need to be switched off for each of the linked accounts. This can be done by clicking voicemail and uncheck the option for “Get voicemail via message.”
4. Click on account and then click delete under the Google Voice Number. The screen will change a bit, but this is expected.
5. Now click remove written next to the Google Voice number
6. Click proceed, and the number will be deleted.
So it is very easy to change or delete the Google Voice Number. You can also modify your Google voice number. If you are facing any trouble with above steps then comment below or you can also contact Google Voice customer care.