Dear reader, we meet again! And this time with a different problem. Don’t think that I don’t like our little rendezvous. To be honest, I actually enjoy it. So, in today’s agenda, we are going to talk on how to disable touchpad in Windows operating system. But let us go back to the old time and live it once again. Did you know that Touchpad which is also known as the trackpad has been around the humans for over two decades now?
But there is one more existing fact that whichever company ships with windows does not offer a great or a standing out touchpad experience. There are only a handful of Windows laptops which do that. This could be because most users all around the word plug in their mouse while using a laptop for any kind of productive work. So, reader, if you are the kind of user who prefers connecting a mouse to your laptop to get your job done without any hassle then you might want to consider disabling the touchpad the moment you connect your mouse to your laptop.
Did you know that there are notebooks that come with a tiny physical button that quickly enables or disables the touchpad but if you are one of the users who is not blessed with such an option then you have come to the right place. I will teach you how to disable touchpad in windows 10/8/7.
How to Disable Touchpad in Laptop Windows
So, in order to solve the problem, you will need to either make use of a third-party tool or disable the touchpad under Device Manager. So, let’s see what are some of the solutions that we have here to disable touchpad windows 10.
Solution 1: Try Disabling the Touchpad through the native Device Manager.
- Step one involves opening the Device Manager. If you don’t know how to do that either then you can try pressing Windows+R keys to open the Run command.
- Once that is done, please type “Devmgmt.msc” in the box that pops up.
- After that is done, press the enter key.
- Step two happens when the Device Manager pops on your screen and expand the test if isn’t already. After that, expand Mice and other and other pointing devices to see any HID-compliant mouse entries.
- Step three is when you click on the first HID-compliant mouse entry and then go ahead click on disable option. When you see the “Disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you really want to disable it?” then click on yes. This is just a warning message that you will see.
- In most of the cases, this procedure will do the trick but if at all for some reason your touchpad is still working then what you can do is disable all the other HID-compliant mouse one after the other.
Solution 2: Enable or disable the Touchpad from BIOS Settings
Not all OEMs offer an option in the BIOS that leads to the enabling or disabling of the touchpad. Most laptops come with an option in the BIOS that can turn on and off the touchpad.
Solution 3: Turn off the touchpad, using the TouchPad Blocker
- You know there many tools out there that can help you disable the touchpad but I recommend you, TouchPad Blocker, because it not only lets you type quickly but also accurately by locking the touchpad input for a brief time after the key is pressed. And, that is not is not even the best part. It allows you to enable or disable the touchpad with a keyboard shortcut.
- TouchPad blocker is in the system tray area of the taskbar which means that you can quickly access all the features and option in just a matter of a click. All you have to do is visit the developer’s page in order to download the executable. Then click on the black-colored Download button on the download page. It will then start the process.
Also Read: How to Fix Laptop Screen Flickering Problem
Solution 4: Disable Touchpad from Windows Control Panel
It should be kept in mind that the option in the setting app is available only for devices which have a precision touchpad. If you have a touchpad which is of another type then there is a possibility to change the mouse setting using the Control Panel, or a third-party tool.
If you are using synaptics touchpad then you can use Control panel to play with the mouse settings using the following steps.
- You will have to open Control Panel.
- Then click on Hardware and Sound.
- Under the heading of “Devices and Printers,” click on Mouse.
- On the “Device Settings” tab, you will have to clear the Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached option.
- You should also note that depending on the manufacturer, the option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected can be layered within the support software.
- For example, on some of the Dell laptops, the setting to disable the touchpad is located deep inside the Dell’s support software. All you have to do is
- Open the touchpad application.
- Then select the mouse which you are using and the click on Stop Device.
- Finally, check the Disable Touchpad when USB Mouse present option.
So, readers, this was it, this is How we can solve the problem of “disable touchpad in windows 10.” I hope this article was helpful in order to solve your issues. If not then you can shoot an email and raise your queries. I will be glad to solve all your queries. Until next time! Take care.