Hello, reader! How are you today? I am fine just wondering how to open RAR Files on Mac? Do you want to do the same? Well, then I must tell you that we are in the same boat. Here we have gathered to discuss the topic, how to open RAR files on Mac? Before we do that, let us talk a little about RAR files.
What exactly RAR files are?
For starters, RAR files or Roshal Archive Compressed file are one the most common and widely used file formats around the world. It is used over the internet to perform data transmission and sharing. These files are extensively used to cut down the overall size and bundle up the files. What’s more is the fact that it is used to put folders into a single file. Did you know that a single RAR file which could be containing a lot of data becomes so small that it can be shared through emails?
How to open RAR files on Mac?
Well, here is your solution.
Apple’s macOS and OS X does not come with an inbuilt tool which reads RAR files specifically the inbuilt utility tool. Apple supports a number of formats like ZIP, TAR, GZIP but it does not back RAR files.
So, what you can do is make use of a RAR file opener.
You will be required to use a third-party app which can open a RAR file and extracts the contents out of it. You know what the best part is?
That there are few apps which could help with that. But for now, in order to answer the question of how to open RAR files on Mac, we use the Unarchiver. It is one app that can be found in the utility section of the Mac App Store.
Let me tell you a little about Unarchiver.
It is a free, small and an easy to use program which works to unarchive different kinds of files that are archived. This tool acts as an open source program and supports formats like Zip, RAR, 7-zip, Tar, Gzip, and Bzip2.
Now, back to the question of how to use the unarchiver to open RAR files on Mac?
Here are the steps as follows:
- First, you will be required to download and install the Unarchiver. You can do so by using two options. Either by downloading it through the website or through the Mac app store. There is a minimum requirement for this, and that is Mac OS X 10.7. But, if you have an older version of Macs, then you can download the older Mac version available at the website.
- The next step that answer question of how to open RAR files on Mac requires you to open RAR file(S). Once the Unarchiver is installed through the Mac App store or through the website, you will be required to open your RAR files. You can do that by dragging and dropping your RAR file onto the Unarchiver’s icon or by right-clicking the RAR file on your Mac.
- Select Open With after the second step is done.
- And choose the Unarchiver or make a double click on the RAR file.
- After this, the tool will start to extract the compressed file into the same folder. How cool is that?
- You would see that you will be able to see those files like any other file because they have become the same. Congratulations!
So, dear reader, these were the steps that you would be required to do in order to open RAR file on a Mac system. I hope the instructions were easy to understand and perform. I also wish that your problem was solved after reading this article.
You should also read: How To Force Quit On Mac
If you have any doubts or queries, then do let me know. You can either shoot me an email or leave a comment in the comment section down below. I would tend to them, and if there is something special or specific that you want me to talk about then I could do that too!
All you have to do is ping me. So, I guess this was it for today.
Until next time! Do explore our site once; you never know what you might find interesting. Take care!