Hello, how are you? We meet again! What a wonderful encounter. I really like our little meetings. It reminds me of how important it is to write daily. Well, just like every day, we will talk about today’s topic of discussion, and that is how to reset PRAM and SMC on your Mac?
The question might seem like a complicated one, but I assure it that it is not. The solutions to this one is very simple and only requires you to follow the instructions, as mentioned in the article below. So, forget all your worries. Don your reading glasses and carry on.
How to Reset PRAM and SMC on Your Mac
First, we will discuss what is PRAM and what does it do?
Did you know PRAM stands for “Parameter Random Access Memory”? It is a type of memory which is found in Mac and is responsible for storing system settings like:
- Attention (beep) sound
- Double-click time
- Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
- Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
- Startup disk
- Menu blink count
- Monitor depth
- 32-bit addressing
- Status of Messages
- Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
- Alarm clock setting
- Application font
- Serial printer location
- Autokey rate
- Autokey delay
- Speaker volume
- Virtual memory
- RAM disk
- Disk cache
How to Reset PRAM on Your Mac
- First of all, you will be required to shut down your machine fully.
- Now you will be required to press the power button with P-R. Please make sure that you press those buttons before the gray screen pops up.
- Now, hold those keys till your Mac system reboots again and you hear the infamous chime.
- You can finally let go of the keys and allow your Mac to reboot manually.
- When you log back in you will have to adjust your mouse speed, time and even the time/zones.
- You should let your PRAM zap several times so that it is out in the clear.
So, there you go. You have reset your PRAM successfully. Fees good right? And, it wasn’t much drama either. Just a couple of clicks and you are good to go.
How to Reset SMC on your Mac?
As I said before, the process is very easy and you will not have to fret a lot. But before we talk about that equation. Let us discuss a little SMC. What is it? What does it do?
Well, for starters, SMC or the System Management Controller is something which is responsible for some low end or low-level functions on Intel-based Mac computers. Here is a list of what an SMC does.
- Ambient light sensing
- Keyboard backlighting
- Status indicator light (SIL) management
- Battery status indicator lights
- Selecting an external (instead of internal) video source for some iMac displays
- Responding to presses of the power button
- Responding to the display lid opening and closing on Mac notebooks
- Battery management
- Thermal management
- Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS)
Interesting right? Now the question comes how to reset SMC on your MAC?
Well, here are the steps for you, dear readers.
The steps/instructions depend on three settings and that are
- Is your device with a removable battery?
- Does it have an inbuilt battery or a non-removable one?
- Or, does it use the power off the wall.
If you are a user who either has MacBook or MacBook pro then you have a removable battery. So here is what you should do to reset SMC on your mac.
- You will be required to shut down your computer.
- Then, go ahead and disconnect the MagSafe plug from the machine.
- Now you are required to remove the battery.
- And, press the power button for 5 seconds followed by releasing it.
- When that is done, you will have to put the battery back and reconnect the MagSafe cord.
- Followed by turning on your system with the power button.
- And, just like that, your SMC will be reset.
If you are a user who has MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air then you will have a non-removable battery. If such is the case then you are required to follow these steps.
- You will have to turn off your machine.
- But remember to keep the power adapter plugged in as it is.
- Now you will be required to press shift-option-control and the power button at the same time.
- Then, let go after a while.
- And, when that is done, you can turn on your machine using the power button.
So, these were the steps that you are required to follow if you want to answer the question of how to reset PRAM and SMC on your Mac.
The steps are easy and you would agree to that.
I hope your problem was solved as I told you it would be. Thank you for reading and if you have any queries or feedbacks that you want to share with me. Then you can write me an email or leave it in the comment section down below. I would try to resolve them!